Sunday, February 2, 2014

Three B's

Bathtime
Today was bath day!
She does not seem to really enjoy baths, but there is definitely an amazing trust that I feel from her when I am giving her a bath. She tries to jump out of the tub if I sit on the outside and try to bathe her, so I now put on shorts and a tank top, close the shower doors, and go in with her. She always looks at me with a face that says, "This really kinda sucks, but I trust you mom..."
"I got some water on my nose"

"I can't wait to get out!"

"Yay! We are almost DONE!"


Bully
Jenny's new nickname with me and Craig is "Bully."
I don't think she is purposely being a  bully, per say.....I think it is more of a Napoleon Complex because of her size. I first noticed it with our friend's dog Maybe when she came over to play. Jenny was definitely trying to make it known to Maybe that she could be tough even though she is small (growling with even a little tiff between the two.) I blew it off as her just not being ready to play with a dog who is significantly larger than her.

She used to be able to play nicely off-leash with Molly next door. (Molly is just a tiny bit bigger then Jenny.) But, the past few times we have gone over there, Jenny has been a little too rough. She has been growling and biting at Molly's neck. This is normal play behavior for dogs if it is reciprocal. Sadly, Molly wants no part of it and now acts a bit fearful towards Jenny :(
We even tried with Gremlin up the street. She is about Molly's size - just a wee bit larger then Jenny. Same thing - growling and biting at Gremlin's neck and back while Gremlin's reaction was like, "WTF...get away from me!"

I have to admit, I was sad about it at first, but I am trying hard to remember that it is not the end of the world if Jenny cannot play well with others.  If Jenny does not seem to want to play with another dog, who am I to force her to just because I am friends with the other dog's owner and *I* would like them to get along?

I can't force it, but I will keep trying to socialize her more and work on her play behavior.

I read about trying "time outs" whenever bullying behavior starts. I may have to try that. I'd also like to have her play with a dog her size or smaller and see how she does. I wonder if she would play differently?

Béla
My friend sent me this video, which I have seen about 5 times already. It totally reminds me of how Jenny is was with Béla...

Jenny has gotten MUCH better and BRAVER about passing our cat on the stairs and in the hallway. At times, I still do have to "save" Jenny if I hear her whining. Usually that involves Béla blocking Jenny by the back door. I remember during the first 2 months trying to teach Jenny how to 'hug the wall' to pass Béla or just charge and run quickly pass her. I must say I notice a huge difference from those first few months!

A Few Pictures...
"What do you mean I wasn't picked for the Puppy Bowl? I'm not THAT much of a bully!"

Comfy blankets...never again on a cold concrete shelter floor



"Here comes the sun..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a kind comment :)