Thursday, January 9, 2014

First Sunset on the Beach

We took a walk on the Strand in Hermosa Beach today. Jenny is still a bit skittish at times around people that get too close, bikes passing, and some of the other dogs, but she is getting better. I think  we just need to keep spending more and more time down on Pier and the Strand for her to get used to the sights and sounds. Next time I need to remember some positive associations (aka treats) for when we are just sitting and observing. I have a treat bag - I just need to start using it for things other than my phone and keys!

We walked from 1st Street down past the pier. She started shaking a bunch when we stopped at the grassy park area, so I didn't push it too long there. It was not very crowded on the Strand and there were only 2 other people on the grassy area with dogs, but she was still quite anxious.

She seemed to enjoy the sand on the beach (Shhhh! We were not supposed to be on the sand....I just snuck her on for a few pictures!) but she did not enjoy the lady who wanted to pet her.  I felt bad, because the lady was visiting from AZ and was missing her dog who looked like Jenny.  Luckily the lady was dog-saavy and knew to get on Jenny's level and hold out her hand to let Jenny try to sniff it. (Jenny just sadly didn't want any part of her kindness and let her know it by letting out a growl.)

I am hoping one day she is comfortable enough to allow strangers to pet her, but I can understand her hesitation. Who knows what happened to her in the past....I always try to remember that and just be understanding and loving.

On the bright side, I REALLY appreciate when people know how to correctly approach a shy dog.  I wish that everyone we encounter on walks knew this, but I also need to remember that there was a time when I was guilty of incorrectly approaching dogs that I didn't know...and I sometimes catch myself STILL slipping into the old bad habit of standing above a dog and reaching down to pet him/her on the head.

We are all learning as we go along...


Walking on the Strand

On the grassy park area
First beach sunset. 
(Of course my iphone did not capture just how pretty the sunset really was!)



Really...the colors of the sunset were much prettier than these pictures show :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a kind comment :)