Monday, January 20, 2014

Lesson in Housetraining

Housetraining

This was an important lesson I learned long ago, but seemed to have forgotten today...

A rolled up newspaper can be an effective training tool when used properly for housetraining your dog.

If your dog has a housebreaking accident,
bring the dog over to the mess,
then take the rolled-up newspaper…
and hit yourself over the head as you say over and over,
“ I FORGOT TO WATCH MY DOG!!! I FORGOT TO WATCH MY DOG!!!!”



 We were doing so well!!!

But, I should have known. 
It was around the time we usually go out for the afternoon walk. I had been starting to get TOO relaxed about letting her have access to the upstairs whenever I am home, regardless of the time. (When I was being vigilant, I was very careful about not letting her upstairs if she had not peed yet around 4pm and 8pm.)

I take all the blame, but she was on such a roll! Luckily the mess was on the landing of the stairs in one spot. So thankful for that steam cleaner Craig bought!

Walks
She is showing progress with letting people pet her on walks. It's tough because lots of people think she is a puppy when we are out on walks (she is about 3 years old) so everyone wants to pet her. Normally, she hides behind me, but today she actually went up to someone who we have seen a few times in the morning. Since the first day he saw Jenny he has said to me, "I am going to let her come to me at her own time." Each time he would see her, he would approach slowly with an outstretched flat palm and watch her body language. As soon as he would see that it was too much for Jenny he would back away. Today Jenny saw him from afar with his Maltese and just stood and watched. (She loves to STOP and watch people and other dogs.) When he started to get close, she actually walked towards him with her tail wagging! I was super proud and love the little successes we have with people. :)
The Maltese growled at her so I discouraged any play there, but I was still proud of her interaction with the man!

Slipper stealer!
She loves to steal socks and slippers!
She also loves to snuggle!


1 comment:

  1. So very well said! It's a frustrating time but you gotta remember they're just babies. Glad to have found your blog!
    Nola's Mom

    PS: Nola's teeth are kept clean partly from her home cooked diet but mostly because I brush them every night. She's 3 years old and has the teeth of a 1 year old puppy.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a kind comment :)