Thursday, January 16, 2014

Training Day

We went to our first training class yesterday. It was held at Zoom Room, the same place that had the"small dog meetup" that I brought Jenny to in the beginning of the month. I really liked Robin, the trainer, and how she was with Jenny so I decided to give Basic Obedience 1 a try.

I never thought that I would take an obedience class. I have trained a dog before and I "train" children every day. I really did not feel like I needed it. I knew the drill.

Part of my reason for signing up was to continue to get Jenny used to being around new people and other dogs. Another reason was being interested in learning about clicker training.

My first thought was, "Why the hell do I have to click a damn "clicker" before giving a treat? Why can't I just use my usual verbal praise?" I learned that the clicker is more precise than the human voice. Our voices can vary in tone and emotion each time we say a word, but a clicker sounds exactly the same each time it is used,  therefore allowing a dog to associate desired behavior with reward much faster.

I knew right away that this was going to be challenging for me. I sometimes have a hard time concentrating on multiple steps at the same time (especially in front of others,) so having to think of verbal command, behavior, hand motion, clicking at the exact moment I needed to, AND  rewarding quickly seemed overwhelming.

I was right. It was challenging for me. I kept forgetting to click the clicker, and then at times I'd forget to give a treat, , but.....I learned how to do it. Now, the practice begins...for ME especially!

Jenny was a total rockstar there!! She was a little nervous at first (shaking with her tail between her legs) but it definitely took her less time to settle down than the last time we were there. When we entered the training area, she walked in with her tail wagging, unlike last time when she was terrified walking in. I felt proud when the trainer even commented on the difference she saw in Jenny.

We learned how to do name recall, touch, sit, leave it, and let's go.
She showed progress with name recall and touch, but still needs LOTS of practice for the others. The class was not meant to teach Jenny, so I did not expect her to walk out there knowing how to sit on command. It was meant to teach me how to do it at home correctly.

Overall, I felt that it was very successful and I look forward to practicing more with Jenny. Hopefully I will get more coordinated and it all works out!

Sometimes both of her ears flip back like this...



"I am lion...hear me ROAR!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a kind comment :)