Monday, January 27, 2014

Small Successes and Lessons Learned

Jenny learned how to "sit!!" 

It took about 2 days to really get her to start doing it. It is definitely still a work in progress (sometimes she sits for the 'touch' command,) but I am so proud of her!


We also started working on "shake" a few days ago and started to have a little bit of progress!

Redirect, Redirect, Redirect....

I am also seeing progress with her and Béla in the chasing department. I am trying hard to get Jenny to stop instigating a chase with Béla in the hallway if Béla is simply laying in the hall or just trying to walk pass Jenny to go into our bedroom. Jenny has been getting better about coming to me when I call her to redirect her before a chase can happen. I found that keeping a baggie of treats on my office desk really helps with this. Simply averting her attention away from Béla is usually enough to prevent a hallway chase.

Right now is a great example. I am sitting at my computer and Béla is laying in the hallway...

Jenny decides she wants to try to instigate a chase....

Then I call Jenny over with "Jenny, come!" and thankfully she turns and comes over....

....and then I take that opportunity to sneak in a practice of "sit"
"Note my wagging tail!"

"I forgot to watch my dog! I forgot to watch my dog!"

Remember the lesson from my last post with the rolled up newspaper?
Well, I am glad you do because apparently I already forgot it!

Jenny had been doing SO WELL with staying out of Béla's room. Even if I went in there to put clothes away or play with Béla, Jenny would just sit or stand by the door....
"I know I am not allowed in there!"

Well, the other day I let my guard down when I was downstairs and Jenny ran up. I continued what I was doing instead of monitoring her behavior. Normally Jenny will just go up and nap on our bed if she goes up without me, but I had a gut feeling *something* was going on the other night...
"Hey! There's a big comfy BED in here!"

I came upstairs and found Little Miss Jenny in Bela's room on her bed....with Bela sitting near the door staring at her as if to say, "WTF??!!!!!"

No, I did not buy my cat a huge bed....it is the bed leftover from when we had the greyhound. Béla really seemed to like it, so I kept it. Spoiled? Yes!)

  
"Seriously?! WTF?"
My lesson once again was learned - WATCH YOUR DOG if you want to prevent certain behaviors. Of course I wasn't mad at Jenny, just at me! She has tried to sneak in a few times since then. If I need to I will put the gate back up, but one thing is for sure - back to training on boundaries with that doorway.

People
Ending on a positive note, she let a man that she had never seen before approach and PET her yesterday!  Go Jenny!


Random pics...
"I am more fashionable than my mom!"

"Where's the squirrel??"

Nap time!
"Yes....I AM this cute!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a kind comment :)